Global Landscapes Forum
Democratizing knowledge and learning. GLF is building a community that co-produces knowledge and learning experiences across geographies, positions and perspectives. Through the Landscape Academy and its Restoration Education Initiative, more than 250 young professionals, community members and practitioners participated in dedicated blended learning courses on multistakeholder collaborations in landscapes and ecopreneurship for landscape restoration.
Pioneering local action and youth leadership. The Youth in Landscapes Initiative is growing a global movement of 60,000 young people in 160 countries. The third edition of the Restoration Stewards programme funds and highlights the work of seven youth-led restoration projects in Africa, Latin America and Asia. The 20+ community-led GLFx chapters foster action on the ground, community mobilization, and knowledge sharing worldwide.
Connecting private investors with communities. The GLF hosts the world’s only forum on sustainable finance in the Global South, supported by the GLF-Luxembourg Finance for Nature Platform.
Catalysing transformative change. Through its events, campaigns, connections with communities, local changemakers, and large multilateral donors, the GLF is scaling local solutions, building bridges and giving voice to those at the frontline of climate, environmental, social and health crises. Altogether the GLF has reached 1.7 billion people.
Events and campaigns
- 2 flagship events: GLF Africa Digital Conference and GLF Climate Hybrid Conference alongside UNFCCC COP27 uniting over 400 speakers, 175 partner organizations and 15,500 participants from 180 countries, including leading scientists, activists, financiers, youth, and Indigenous and government leaders.
- 3 digital forums: Sustainable Finance for Nature-Based Solutions organized with the GLF-Luxembourg Finance for Nature platform, Transforming agrifood systems with forests organized with the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and Biodiversity Finance Digital Forum: Investing in People and Nature
- 2 media seminars: Building a green, healthy and resilient future with forests, organized with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) alongside the XV World Forestry Congress; Working away at climate change, organized with the Pulitzer Center
- 3 campaign weeks with a focus on the Latin America & Caribbean Youth, Global Value Chains and Land Restoration in Africa, as well as 3 photo and storytelling competitions
- 41 GLF Social Media Ambassadors from 26 countries, speaking 16 languages
Resilient Landscapes – A private sector facing arm of CIFOR-ICRAF
Resilient Landscapes (RL) is an innovative venture created by CIFOR-ICRAF that serves as an impact-driven bridge between science and business, finance, governments and civil society. Through science-empowered project designs in forest and agroforestry landscapes and across nature-based supply chains, RL connects players of the Nature-based Solutions (NbS) ecosystem in action. The execution of such designs links the private sector with key areas of CIFOR-ICRAF’s expertise. RL is committed to project-lifetime partnerships, sharing risks with selected investors, and enabling them to increase their long-term ambition and impact performance. It also aims to unleash a pool of ‘home-grown’ NbS projects born from CIFOR-ICRAF’s substantial research database and partner network spread across more than 60 countries over the last 40 years.
In 2022, the Ministry of the Environment, Climate and Sustainable Development (MECSD) of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (GDL), in partnership with CIFOR-ICRAF, launched an initiative around RL with the goal of bolstering NbS finance while directly benefiting from CIFOR-ICRAF science. The partnership, presented during the UN Biodiversity Summit in Montreal, Canada, will commence in 2023, catalysing investments in NbS from the private sector and financial institutions, while facilitating results-driven action across the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.