Kenya has set ambitious Forest and Landscape Restoration (FLR) goals to increase and maintain 10% tree cover by 2022, to restore 5.1 million ha of degraded land by 2030 and to reduce 50% of its greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. The FLR Implementation Action Plan 2022-2026 (FOLAREP) seeks to restore 2.55 million ha of degraded landscapes through integrated approaches and best practices. Additionally, a multi-stakeholder Technical Working Group on Restoration Monitoring has been convened to support sustainable FLR efforts in the country.
The objectives of this workshop are to:
- Share an update on the UK-PACT project achievements
- Present and receive feedback on the county engagement synthesis report
- Provide feedback and contribute to updating the Forest and Landscape restoration Action Plan (FOLAREP)
- Review the finalise the landscape restoration monitoring framework
- Present outcomes on matching innovative and locally relevant, gender-responses restoration practices to local contexts in Makueni County
- Agree on next steps and way forward for landscape restoration support and monitoring in Kenya