- Part of former “cocoa belt” productive area in central Côte d’Ivoire, exploited & overused to the point of decimation & loss of agricultural productivity
- Land cover comprised of non-native savanna, secondary semi-deciduous forests, & agricultural lands with high reforestation potential
- Emergence of cashew nut cultivation encourages landowners to actively prevent & fight fires – the main driver of forest degradation
- Various small & medium-scale projects under development target local communities (LC), especially youth & women
- Pilot region for national Forest Investment Program (FIP) project to implement the new National Forest Policy, selected for high deforestation rate & emigration of cocoa producers
- Member of the Assembly of Regions & Districts of Côte d’Ivoire (ARDCI) – multi-level collaboration forum for representation of regions & districts in national & international contexts
Solano, D.; Simonet, G.; Peteru, S.
deforestation, livelihoods, food security, sustainable development, policy, climate change