- CIFOR-ICRAF photo competition is open to anyone aged 18 or above; feel free to use any photography equipment you are most comfortable with.
- Entries must be original. Entries that have been duplicated or plagiarized will automatically be disqualified.
- Entries must not include a watermark, signature, or caption.
- Entries that have previously won other photography competitions will automatically be disqualified.
- By submitting your entries, you are agreeing to the terms and rules of this competition
How to participate
- To submit your entries, upload your photo here.
- You may submit multiple entries with maximum 3 photos; however, you can only have one ultimate entry in the final round
- The uploaded file must include the photo’s title, name, email address, social media handles (if applicable), and a caption stating the following:
- the subject and location, and a short description of the story behind the picture.
- You must have the full copyright to the submitted photos. Therefore, by submitting your entries, you will be presumed to have agreed to accept the contest rules and the terms and conditions.
All entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges selected by CIFOR-ICRAF team, who will select at least 30 photos from all eligible submissions received during the competition period. Finalists will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Creativity (30%)
- Photographic quality (30%)
- Composition (30%)
- Execution of theme (10%)
CIFOR-ICRAF will publish the finalist entries on its online platforms. The panel of judges will choose the first and second prize winners from the finalist entries, while members of the public will be invited to vote online for their favorite entry. The photo with the most votes will receive the ‘popular vote’ award. CIFOR-ICRAF team will ensure that the first prize, second prize and popular vote winners are all selected from different participants.
CIFOR-ICRAF team will email all finalists in November.
Finalists’ entries will be featured and shared across CIFOR-ICRAF’s platforms (website and social media, CIFOR-ICRAF’s Flickr album) and products (reports, outcome statements, presentations, etc.). After public voting, the most popular photos will be featured at CIFOR-ICRAF webpage, with the winning photos receiving cash prizes of USD 500 (1st prize), USD 400 (2nd prize), and USD 300 (popular vote).
A panel of judges selected by the CIFOR-ICRAF will select up to 50 photos from all eligible submissions received during the competition period.
Please note that while one person can submit more than one photo with maximu 3 photos, any single contributor can have just one finalist photo.
The finalist photos will be published on the CIFOR-ICRAF’s website and social media platforms in November, and the public will be invited to vote for their favorite photos. The entry that garners the highest number of votes will receive a special award, subject to verification and compliance with these official rules.
The winner will be announced on the CIFOR-ICRAF website and social media channels on 7 December.
Terms and conditions
Contributors must be 18 years or older to submit a photo. The photo must be original and owned by the contributor. By submitting photos to the competition, the contributor agrees to a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial share-alike license (BY-NC-SA).
By uploading the image, the contributor ensures that the image was taken legally and that they have the right to portray all people or other information contained in the image.
Competition organizers reserve the right to use all photos submitted through the competition for CIFOR-ICRAF materials and exhibitions during CIFOR-ICRAF events. Contributors will be given credit when the organizers publish or use their pictures. Contributors do not have permission to use the photos they submitted for commercial purposes.
Contributors who work for the media are required to attach an authorization signed by a representative of the media company employing them. This authorization should state that the contest organizers have permission to publish the author’s piece from the media outlet where the photo originally appeared. Please attach your approval (if applicable) in the submission form.
CIFOR-ICRAF reserves the right to disqualify contestants in the case of suspicious activity throughout the voting period. Fraudulent activities will be monitored and will lead to exclusion