In accordance with General Assembly resolutions 74/220 and 75/218, the President of the General Assembly will convene a High-level Dialogue to assess the progress made in the fight against desertification, land degradation and drought during the UN Decade for Deserts and the Fight against Desertification and map the way forward to:
- Bring attention to recovery opportunities during and after the COVID-19 pandemic that can be aligned with action to address DLDD through job-creating projects in land restoration, regenerative agriculture, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and investments in sustainable land management
- Elevate the discourse on DLDD issues’ global significance for the entire SDG agenda and for climate, biodiversity and disaster risk reduction
- Build upon the commitments and initiatives from Member States and stakeholders made during the Summits on Biodiversity and Climate Change, along the path to the CBD COP15, UNFCCC COP26, UNCCD COP15, and the 2021 Food Systems Summit.
- Encourage all UN Member States to adopt and implement Land Degradation Neutrality targets and National Drought Plans, in line with implementing the Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction and as part of their Nationally Determined Contributions and future commitments under the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
- Call for countries to support the Land Degradation Neutrality Fund and other funding mechanisms to scale up land restoration by all sectors of society
- Share experiences and best practices, cutting-edge technologies and innovative business models that advance green, resilient and inclusive recovery strategies